Monday 24 June 2013

The Measure of Success

Cooking is a bit like art - there are many different styles and almost endless possibilities, a lot of effort goes into the end product - but at the end of the day what you serve up may not be to everyone's taste!

Now I can say to you, if you would only follow my recipes to the letter then you will be guaranteed a great dish, but maybe you don't want your food with as much pepper as I might, or you prefer it with more salt, less garlic etc
That's why the measurements in my recipes are guidelines only; so if you want to use 1 teaspoon of chili powder in your recipe instead of the 1/2 teaspoon that I put, then I say go for it!

If you are cooking regularly then you will cook on instinct anyway. I put measurements in my recipes for 1 tablespoon of this, or 1 teaspoon of that, but in reality, I very rarely actually use teaspoons and tablespoons for measuring ingredients. If you are tasting your dish as you go then you automatically know if it needs a bit
more salt here or a few extra spices there. There is no need to stick to a rigid recipe because what I like may not be exactly the same as you like.

I may cook the same dish 5 times and use a slightly different set of ingredients each time. One day I may use 2 cloves of garlic for a spaghetti sauce but the next time I use 3 cloves. It's all about what you feel at the time. It doesn't make it wrong if you don't stick to the recipe exactly, it makes it your own recipe - your own creation!

Now I'm not saying just ignore my recipes altogether, (please don't!!) but feel free to follow your own heart, or in this case stomach, and soon you will be creating your own masterpieces!!!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.